Recently I know there has been a lot of buzz about the new Bare Minerals products. I was lucky enough to get to meet with the Bare Minerals team and test out some of their products while at Fashion Week in February. Fast forward a couple of months and I’ve really had some time to give these products a major test drive. I don’t like to overhaul my makeup routine overnight so I’ve been playing with a few items here and there as I go. That being said, there has definitely been one standout product I really wanted to share with you guys today. Drumroll please …
Unfortunately when I first got home with this product, I was using it totally wrong. Here’s where I messed up.
How to Not Apply Complexion Rescue:
- Application: First of all, I applied it with an old brush I used with my last tinted moisturizer that was probably the wrong brush to begin with, and also probably needed to be properly cleaned. (Whoops!) To be perfectly honest, the only reason I didn’t want to use the recommended “Smoothing Face” brush yet is because I knew I’d need to take photos (seen above!) for this review and so I wanted it to stay pretty and clean. Ha! Blogger fail. You don’t have to use the Smoothing Face brush, you can also use your fingers. But I didn’t follow directions and was using neither of those options. I am a huge fan of the Beauty Blender, but I found that this also was not the best tool to use for this product.
- Amount of product: Secondly, I was applying WAY TOO MUCH. Because it felt so lightweight, I kept thinking I needed a little more. I really wanted to give this stuff a proper test drive for you guys so I thought I was doing the right thing by really trying to get good “coverage.” No. Wrong again. Keep reading …
How to Correctly Apply Correction Rescue:
- Application: You must apply this either with your fingers or the Smoothing Face brush. It is so lightweight that what you use to apply it really does matter. Me putting it on with my old “foundation brush” that was somewhat flat and short (the Smoothing Brush is more fluffy and soft), would be like if I was trying to apply moisturizer with a short flat brush. Odd. Which brings me to my next point … if you apply it with your fingers, just rub it on the same way you’d rub moisturizer all over your face. I personally love to use the Smoothing Brush because 1) you don’t have to get your hands dirty and 2) it is super quick and blends magically. It really does give you an smooth “airbrush-like” application, if you follow the next step, which is probably the most important of all ..
- Amount of product: Does anyone really use a “pea-sized amount” when directions call for pea-sized? I’m more of a more is more person and less of a less is more person. (Are you still with me?) In this case, less really is more. I learned this accidentally as one day I was in a big hurry and also just running errands so wasn’t too worried about the amount of coverage I was getting. I put the tiniest pea-sized amount on my face, brushed it out with the Smoothing Face Brush, and then stopped in my tracks when I noticed how perfect the coverage looked! Epiphany moment! I realized right then that I’ve been applying this stuff wrong the whole time. After doing a little snooping on the Bare Minerals website, my suspicions were confirmed that they do indeed recommend using a pea-sized amount. I think I thought companies were just trying to be nice when they suggest this. Lesson learned. And now I’m obsessed with Complexion Rescue. I’m also wondering how many other products I’ve probably used totally incorrectly over the years…
Final Thoughts & Why I Love Complexion Rescue:
- I get to use less product which means I won’t have to replace it all the time.
- I like it so much that I don’t even put a powder over it.
- That “airbrush-like” effect I described earlier reminds me of when I’ve taken the time to apply a little self-tanner the night before. A little self-tanner sometimes kind of gives that even skin tone feel in addition to a glow boost. Complexion rescue doesn’t replace self-tanner (color-wise) but I do think it’s the closest thing to getting that smooth, even finish, especially when used with the brush.
- It has SPF 30 – very important!
- It promises to increase skin hydration in just one week, which I believe to be accurate. I didn’t even know my face needed electrolytes, antioxidants, etc., but the longer I use it the more and more smooth it goes on every day.
- For your reference, the Bare Minerals makeup artist I worked with during fashion week matched me as being “Opal,” which is their lightest shade and is the perfect fit for me. I may end up swapping to “Vanilla” for summer, which is the next shade up.
I have linked to the Complexion Rescue and Smoothing Face Brush in this post to Nordstrom because they offer free shipping, all the time, no minimums. Also I just love shopping at Nordstrom because they are so easy to work with on returns if you change your mind about a product or need a different shade. However, you can also buy these products at Sephora, Ulta (free shipping!), and Amazon.
Thank you for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed this review!! xo
This is not a sponsored post, but I did receive product for review. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this blog!