Recently I have come across several travel tips that jumped out at me. Most of our trips right now are just long weekends at the beach house or quick weekend weddings. Nothing too involved as far as the actual travel goes. But the headache always comes with packing, unpacking and getting back to a normal routine once we’re back home. So the tips that are inspiring me right now are more on the home front of what to do before and after your trip so you don’t feel so out of whack!
- Before leaving, clean out the fridge and make a list of what you’ll need when you return. Then on the way to airport, order the groceries to pickup when you get back. (You can see my obsession with Kroger ClickList here.) – idea from Real Simple Mag but I’ve also done this before
- Schedule a house cleaning right before you leave or for while you are gone. – Real Simple mag. This idea just seems genius to me for some reason.
- Unpack ASAP. Perhaps even the minute you get home. Make three to-do piles: Laundry, Dry Cleaning, and Put Away. Tackle each pile as soon as possible and stow away all luggage. This creates an immediate sense of accomplishment. – simple idea but so important from Gal Meets Glam
- Speaking of the previous tip about unpacking … I have found that if I take a laundry bag with me on any trip, and really make sure to actually put all of the worn clothes in it, it makes tackling the post-trip laundry seem a lot less intimidating.
- I’ve started leaving some of William’s travel sized toiletries in his bag all the time, and it makes packing for him a lot easier.
- Lastly, my favorite unpacking hack: I like to take everything out of the bag and put it on my bed so my bag is empty right away & can be stored. Then I gradually put all the things away, but it has to be completed before bedtime so I can get in the bed! Hehe. It forces me to not procrastinate unpacking!
What have you been doing lately that makes traveling a little easier? Please leave it in the comments! xo
My travel bag is by Vera Bradley and is now on sale!! Shop it here. It originally appeared in this post in March. My door mat can be purchased here. It was a gift from my sister Lizzy and I just love it!
Photos by Erin